I remember when I was younger (before I even knew how to make anything), I thought I needed so many things in my kitchen to make a decent meal. I am here to tell you, this is absolutely NOT TRUE. I may love collecting kitchen crap, but honestly, I barely use most of the things I have. In fact, this summer, my plan is to seriously streamline and make my kitchen totally minimalist. Here are the top 5 things that I absolutely love and think everyone needs in a basic kitchen to pretty much make anything happen.
1. A good cutting board. Mama learned this through lots of trial and error. I used to buy these super fancy wooden cutting boards which are beautiful and great, but if you aren’t going to clean them well and use wood oil (which I’m not because I am too busy for that situation), then they get ruined and break. I have found these Epicurean cutting boards that I love because they aren’t plastic, but can still go in the dishwasher. I love having a set with 3 sizes for all my cooking needs.
2. An Instant Pot. This thing is a game changer for our family. I use it several times a week. I feel like there is nothing you can’t do with it! I use it for bean dishes, meat dishes, and I make oatmeal in it. I also have the air fryer lid which works amazingly well and allows me to get that crispy taste without deep frying. It is large, but it replaces so many other appliances for me so it’s worth it. I have seen that you can make cheesecake in it so yeah, that’s happening.
3. Non-toxic pots and pans. Say hello to Caraway. Ceramic, non toxic, non-stick cookware that looks beautiful in your kitchen. Since I have had my Caraway set, I haven’t used any of my other pans. I used to have one that can go from stovetop to oven, a few Teflon non-stick skillets (toxic!), and some saucepans. I totally don’t need anything but my full Caraway set for anything I need to do in the kitchen (p.s- click that link for a discount through May 13th!).
4. A good knife. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive, but it should be a chef’s knife so you can cut anything with ease. I use my Wusthofchef’s knife from cutting meat to mincing garlic, to slicing through hard potatoes. Having one of these is imperative to not cutting yourself or getting pissed that you can’t cut through something. Also, I bring all my knives to Sur La Table once a year to get sharpened. For me, that’s easier than sharpening myself. Plus less stuff in the house!
5. Glass storage containers. I love glass storage for so many reasons. Glass containers clean so nicely, don’t stain, and don’t hold any smells. Glass is also sustainable, non- toxic and pretty which is a huge plus for me. Though it is more delicate, it is also more durable because you can typically store, heat, and in some, even freeze. I love these ones from Amazon because they have bamboo tops which look great and less plastic!
That’s my super streamlined kitchen! I have one bonus product for you too which isn’t on my IG, but it has become a newer essential for me… Swedish dishcloths! I have become obsessed with my Swedish dishcloths. At first I just bought them to clean the counters instead of paper towels, but I have used them for even just washing dishes too and they are amazing. I love that they are really thin, but absorbent. Plus they are more hygienic than regular sponges because you can just throw them in the washing machine and reuse.
That’s all folks… happy cooking!!